Thursday, April 1, 2010

Fashion Talismans

Draft:

Composition:

Black short-sleeved turtleneck (H&M)
Gray skirt (Ellen Tracy)
Pink heels (Bakers)
Bracelet (vintage)

Usage:

Earlier this week, I was chatting with a coworker at the coffee machine, but she wasn't looking at me: she seemed to be staring at the floor.  Giving her a quizzical look, she laughed and said, "I always have to see what shoes you're wearing."  It's obviously no secret: I love shoes.  The right shoes can tie an outfit together...or pull it apart (see: Uggs).

I just found these pink heels on sale and immediately snagged them.




I like to structure outfits around colorful statement shoes.  For shoes this bright and this tall, I think its best to pair them with neutral pieces.  That way, the shoes remain the focal point, and the outfit doesn't look too over the top.  So I wore a simple gray skirt and a black short-sleeved turtleneck for a day at work.  As for accessories, I wanted to wear a bracelet since I had on short-sleeves.  I found this cute one at a vintage store in my home city a few years ago.


I think it has character: it's intricate, but not too complicated.  It's neither delicate nor bulky, but a nice inbetween.  It's interesting, but not ostentatious.

I've always thought that certain fashion items seem to be imbued with special powers to make us feel better about ourselves and feel more confident -- our own fashion talismans.  For some, it might be a necklace or a favorite t-shirt.  For me, it's a pair of heels.  Whenever I slip them on, I immediately feel confident and in control.

Prompts:


  • What's your position on high heels?  Love 'em?  Hate 'em?  Do you live in flats or covet five-inch heels?

  • What's your fashion talisman? 

4 comments:

Scholar Style Guide said...

I love this idea of a "fashion talisman"! I will have to think about what mine might be.

I like both heels and flats, but one thing that I like about heels is that I think they improve my posture. Maybe it's in my head, but I feel like they make me stand up (and even sit up) straighter than flats.

-Liz

Jennifer said...

I've had a really hard time letting go of my high heels since moving here. I say "letting go" because I can't find a way to make them practical when I have to to trek all over campus. No college campus (except maybe NYU) is conducive to high heels. Uneven bricks, cracks, etc.

Additionally, even when dressed up for a night out on the town, I find that I never choose my stilettos. I want to wear them, and they always give me a feeling of confidence (and make legs look great), but like the college campus, DC streets are not kind to heels. Unless I'm taxi-ing it from place to place, they just aren't do-able. And I'm honestly kinda sad about it. And so are my shoes that aren't seeing the light of day.

Maybe I need to find a way to recommit. Beauty is pain, right? The older I get though, the less I'm willing to take the pain. I just bought another pair of kitten heels yesterday. They are my new staple, but they make me feel a little like my mom. :( At least I haven't completely given up and resorted to Crocs or Uggs.

--Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Love your skirt!

Anonymous said...

I want to soak her panties with my semen