Tuesday, June 1, 2010

One and Done

Draft:

Composition:
teal cami (Old Navy)
printed jersey dress (NY&Co)
gladiator heels (Vera Wang for Kohl's)

Usage:
I hope those of you here in the States enjoyed your holiday weekend!  As a scholar interested in World War 1 literature, I sometimes feel like I am always engaged in Memorial Day.  I've been studying how those who remain choose to memorialize their own experiences as well as those of the dead, so a day set aside for this kind of memorialization is of particular interest to me.  Will scholars of the future find it bizarre that a cook-out seems to have become the prototypical way to celebrate this day?  Will there be a way for them to look at an archive people's facebook statuses?  The Library of Congress is keeping an ongoing archive of everyone's activity on Twitter; is it possible to memorialize someone or something in 140 characters or less?

Anyhow, when I find myself struggling to get back into the swing of the work week, I always rely on my old one-and-done standby: the jersey dress.  Without much effort, I can put together an easy, comfortable look that's still office appropriate and that demonstrates I do care about my appearance even on days when I don't have the mental energy for styling.

It might not hurt me to wear this dress once in a while when I do have more energy, though.  Every time I put it on, I remember that I need to alter it, but it never gets done.  It's meant to be a rather streamlined silhouette, and though the top fits well, there's a lot of extra material in the skirt that would be easy to take in.  Maybe today will be the day I finally get around to this, two years after the dress was purchased.

Prompts:

  • Did you celebrate Memorial Day?  What about your celebration was most meaningful to you?
  • What is your standby dress or outfit that you go to when you don't feel like planning an outfit?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

My standby is the same as your standby... the jersey dress! They are great for casual or work events, and travel well. I actually have the same exact one :)

Katie from Interrobangs Anonymous said...

"The pallor of girls' brows shall be their pall;
Their flowers the tenderness of patient minds,
And each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds."

Memorial Day always makes me think of Owen's "Anthem for a Doomed Youth" and how the very act of continuing on can become the act of mourning. Maybe it comes from being a military kid. Or a lit kid. Who knows?

Dresses are my standby, too, but I don't wear jersey as much as I wish I did. So often I find that jersey dresses are made out of synthetic blends that manage to highlight every aspect I wish they'd hide. I have a couple that I love, but I find I have more non-jersey cotton dresses - slightly more figure forgiving, but almost always muchly (what? it could be a word) more wrinkle-prone.

Anonymous said...

I think a scholar 400 years from now is going to have a wonderful time reading through some of these archived twitter and (one day!) facebook updates. My ex boyfriend in college wrote a paper on Jefferson's letters and how he was obsessed with measuring the heads of insects! I feel like similarly strange things will show up in the annals of twitter records.

I think your dress is really adorable! My go-to dress up outfit is usually a loose, comfy dress in blue too :)

xo Jenny

Scholar Style Guide said...

I've been trying to think of a creative way to declare my love for the almighty jersey dress. This will suffice: I'm in love. I tell myself that jersey dresses enable me to use zero brain power in dressing and instead direct my limited brain cells toward things like schoolwork. :)

You look great!

- Anne-Marie

Anonymous said...

I love that jersey dress, especially layered over the teal cami. The print is just fantastic.

I also turn to a dress when I just want to grab-and-go. My favorite kind are ones like yours that have great details or a great print and don't need accessories, but that work well with them, too.

Scholar Style Guide said...

My standby in summer is a lightweight skirt and t-shirt - I have an aversion to shorts that I might write about later - or a dress like the one in my last post.

I'm also bad about tailoring stuff that I meant to alter.

-Katie

Anonymous said...

Just jacked off to the right picture